March 23, 2020

Plague Dinner # 7

Plague Dinner from the Pandemic Pantry - What to make with Potatoes and Left-over ground Chicken and 2 boneless Chicken Breasts?

Gnocchi and Chicken in a Creamy, Sagey Sauce.



Serves 3, but took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to make, however...

It got RAVES!

I made gnocchi from scratch. Never a good idea. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Use frozen or shelf gnocchi.

If you must know, I made a delicious gnocchi dough with 4 potatoes mashed and cooled, spread out on a pan to dry.

I put the spuds in a shallow bowl, made a well in the centre, added about 1.5 cups flour and 1 egg. Then I incorporated the potato into the egg and flour.

I dusted my board with flour and on it rolled a lemon sized chunk of of gnocchi dough and rolled it into a tube. Then cut it into inch-long pillows. Don't bother making them fancy by rolling them on a fork.

I made about 100 pieces. Like I said, the dough was tasty.

In the meantime I cut up 2 chicken breasts into chunks and browned them for about 8 minutes a side, turning meanwhile to avoid all pinkness. I added some salami slices and  added the left over ground chicken from earlier in the week.

Sauce: The cheapest, cheatiest sauce. In a Pyrex measuring cup I added a sprinkle of dried Italian seasoning, a squirt of chicken OXO, a glug of white wine and, because I had no cream, 1/2 a cup of milk and a tablespoon of cream cheese. I stirred it all around until the cream cheese was mostly incorporated. Add to the chicken a minute or 2 before serving.

Back to the gnocchi

In the 2nd largest saucepan I had, I dropped them into rapidly boiling water. I strained them out with a slotted spoon when they rose to the surface, in just minutes. My problem is that those gnocchi on the bottom got pretty water-logged.

I then added them to a hot pan of oil and garlic. Smelled great but only about 1/2 of them kept their shape.



But when they were all together on the plate, they replicated a Christmas dinner, according to George and Noah. The mushy gnocchi was like potatoes and stuffing put together!

They gave dinner a 9.4 out of 10. Lots of props for this one. 

Going to take a 2 day break from blogging. Tonight, I know for sure we're having Egyptian tomato soup, polenta and roasted vegetables. They're in the oven!

#pandemicpantry #plaguepantry #isolationdinners #selfisolation #plaguemeals #plaguedinner #pantrymeals 


No comments: