August 25, 2011

Grow - Leadwort "Blue Plumbago"

This spreading ground-cover is about to bloom in my garden and about time too. It's half-past August and the flowers arrive on Leadwort "Blue Plumbago" in the late summer. It has lovely deep blue flowers and it's foliage (FOL-I-AGE, not foilage) turns a reddish bronze in the fall. It takes a long time to come into its own in the spring and I almost chucked it.I'm glad I didn't. I bought about $200-worth of plants at this time last year - coral bells, false indigo, lantana - all-professing to be perennial. This Leadwort is the only one that hasn't let me down.

3 comments:

Giulia said...

Some perennials will bloom next year, probably. This happened to me several times. Sometimes, for whatever reason they are delayed. This is lovely, though.

Diane said...

I quite like the blossoms. The red bits remind me of bee balm; the purple periwinkle. Such a colourful beauty. Sunlover?

Anonymous said...

Is this a pollinator attractor like the regular plumbago?