April 15, 2009

Theme Thursday - Earth


Gaia, the goddess in Greek mythology, is Mother Earth. Gaia came out of the great empty void of Chaos. From her was borne Uranus, the sky god, her equal, who was both her son and her soon-to-be husband. Without a mate she produced the mountains and Pontus, the sea.

Gaia took Uranus as her husband and their offspring included the Titans, the Cyclops and three monsters known as the Hecatonchires. Uranus was aghast at the nature of their offspring. Fearful of her husband’s great strength, Gaia hid them all within herself to protect them. Terribly uncomfortable for all, her youngest, Cronus, came to the rescue by severing the union between Gaia and Uranus with his sharp knife, ouch! thus separating the connection between the Earth and Sky.

The idea that the nurturing, fertile earth is female is widespread and has been prevalent since prehistoric times. The ever-so-tubby Venus of Willendorf is widely believed to be an “Earth Mother.” The Egyptians had their fertility goddesses as did the Sumerians. The Phoenicians had Aretsaya as their Goddess of the Earth. The Inca had Pachamama. What a name!

The Native American creation myth features a divine woman falling from the sky with no land to live on. Hurriedly, mouthful by mouthful, the beaver, the muskrat and the toad brought muddy earth up from the sea floor to create land upon the Turtle's back. The divine woman gave birth, without the aid of a man, to twin boys; one good one evil. Cain and Abel, anyone? The good one was born without fuss but the evil one decided to spring from his mother’s side causing her death.

When the woman was buried, all of the plants needed for life on earth sprang from the ground above her.

Always popular with the pagan, celebrating Mother Earth has a renewed appeal with the green movement.

Hundertwasser said, “You are a guest of Nature – behave”.
And I say, "Be nice to your Mother. She's the only one you've got."


The great picture above is from The Lost Gardens of Heligan. www.heligan.com

19 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

What an interesting account and the illustration is startling.

Giulia said...

No, I think you find the best pix, H. I read mythology every day & but off schedule today. Therefore, most excellent serendipity--your post. A splendid evening to the entire Pup clan (including Jersey, of course).

Brian Miller said...

nice pic and thoughts on the green mother. especially the quotes at the end. curious, how do you take care of her?

Tess Kincaid said...

I like the Native American take on Gaia. And I LOVE the depiction of her in the photo!! Tres cool. I want to make one just like this in my yard!

California Girl said...

great story, great image.

Ronda Laveen said...

Absolutely wonderful photo. Very strking and moving, as is her story. She kinda got "around" didn't she?

Hazel Evangelista said...

Hi! Thanks for your visit!
You can comment in english there, if you want.

Loved to visit your blog; there's a lot of interesting information.

See you soon!

A big hug from Portugal

Candie said...

Just love it!Nice post Hazel.

R.L. Bourges said...

Gorgeous. 'Be nice to your Mother' - I like that.

Mrsupole said...

A most interesting picture, I really liked it. And yes we must be nice to our mother because she is all we got. Mother earth has some interesting things happening around her.

Thanks for the story.

God bless.

ArtSparker said...

Good post - you might want to check the Heligan link.

Wings1295 said...

Interesting post and a strangely beautiful pic. Thanks! :)

Tom said...

Mythology is a hoot! I love the stories and adventure of it all.
And i'll be sure to be nice to my mother...recycle!

Dakota Bear said...

Great picture of Mother earth. Interesting post!

Kat Mortensen said...

I love that picture and you make me want to reread "The Odyssey".
I love my Mother(s).

Kat

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

I absolutely love that image. Maybe earth day should be another "Mothers" Day.

Reyjr said...

:D I kind of remember this from mythology class. :D Great! I loved it!

Oh, and related to my post, Gaia is also the name of "Mother Earth" on Captain Planet. lol!

Anonymous said...

I learn so many new things now that I can tour the internet. Thank you for being such an interesting part of that experience.

Sue Hill said...

Hello, I'm one of the artists who created the Mudmaid you pictured in the Lost Gardens of Heligan. My brother, Pete Hill, and I made her 10 years ago. If you'd like to see what we've been up to since please check www.peteandsuehill.co.uk