May 2, 2009

Cranberries for Giulia



Hi Giulia, and anyone else whose interested.

For the stuffing/dressing I made for Thursday's pork tenderloin I used:

1/2 a red onion slowly fried in about 1 tbsp of butter until soft and sweet
1/2 cup prepared cranberry sauce. I had carefully saved some from Christmas*
1/2 cup chopped organic walnuts
1/4 cup crumbled old cheddar

When the onions were cool I just mooshed the above into a paste and spread it onto a pork tenderloin that I had slit open and hammered cook's mallet thingy.

Then I tied it up again with kitchen string (not blue, a la Bridget Jones)

I browned it for about 3 minutes per side in an oven-proof frying pan. Covered it and let it roast for about 1/2 an hour at 400 degrees F.

The handle gets really hot so cover it with an oven mitt when it comes out in case you grab the handle by mistake.

*If you want to make your own cranberry sauce gently boil 1 bag of cranberries (12 oz) with one cup of sugar and one cup of water. The berries start to pop and smell so good. The froth turns pink and the whole thing is wonderful. Wait till completely cool before you do anything with it, or pour it into an airtight mason jar.

4 comments:

Ima Wizer said...

Thank you!!!!! Yummmmmmmmy!

Margaret Gosden said...

Since I love pork chops and home made cranberry sauce this is a wonderful variation, instead of apple sauce (which is still a good combination). Thank you for that!

Giulia said...

Mille grazie, Chef-Pup.

Kat Mortensen said...

I like to add a bit of grated orange rind to my cranberry sauce and I also like it nice and tart, so I cut back a bit on the sugar.

The onions, cheddar and cranberries with the walnuts sounds exquisite.

We only eat chicken and fish, but I think chicken breasts might work.

Kat