June 14, 2011

Smell-a-vision

I wish I could share the smell of my Climbing Hydrangea. Right now it fills the garden with a yummy aroma which is a bit Rose Peony and a bit cucumber.

Hydrangea petiolaris is a great climber. It produces aerial roots and can glom on to just about anything and it produces these beautiful white flowers.




Mine was here when I moved in a dozen years ago. Apparently they can take up to three years to take off but are well worth waiting for. They don't really love the sun and are best planted with at least their roots in the shade. They can thrive even in a north-facing shady position. My hydrangea faces east and on the shady north side of my house.

5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Oh, now you're making me miss the Hyggehus! We had a gorgeous one on the front of the house side that curled around the corner and hugged the east wall. We intend on planting another one here.

Mmmm! Yours is lovely!

Adrienne Shubin said...

That's a lovely flowering plant. The description of the scent sounds so fresh and clean.

Susan said...

Love them. We have them everywhere down here, too. Draping & climbing waaaaaaaaaaay up into trees & telephone poles.

Kate Hanley said...

Beautiful pictures. I want one now!

Hels said...

Beautiful!

I haven't ever seen or smelled the Climbing Hydrangea, I think. The flowers you photographed are very delicate, and vastly different from the usual hydrangea which has large round flowerheads that look like pom-poms.